Fifth Judicial District of Pennsylvania
County of Allegheny
Family | Child Custody


  • My custody case was scheduled for a court event during the closure. What happens now?
  • Your case will be rescheduled. You will receive notification from the Court.

  • I don’t think I should have to send my child to the other parent during the public health crisis. Is that permitted?
  • President Judge Clark has issued an administrative order stating that all current custody orders shall continue to be followed. Please communicate your concerns to the other parent, minimize the number of people at exchanges, and practice social distancing, if possible, to ensure safety.

  • I have an order for a court-appointed custody evaluation. I’m concerned about in-person appointments with my children at the evaluator’s office during this time. What can I do?
  • Please review the insert that was sent with your evaluation order explaining the precautions that are being taken by the evaluators. Some pieces of your evaluation may be conducted remotely.

  • It is difficult for me to have the other party served. Am I permitted to serve them via text, social media notification, or email during this time?
  • The rules for service on a custody case have NOT changed due to the pandemic. However, please try to serve the other party however you can and encourage the other party to acknowledge that they have been served with the Court. They can do this by email at or by phone at 412-350-4311.

  • I can’t afford an attorney to represent me in my custody case. Does the Court provide one for me?
  • No. Court staff CANNOT provide you with any legal advice. If you choose to represent yourself during your custody case, you will be held to the same legal standards and requirements as a party who has an attorney.

  • Is the Custody Department open?
  • The Custody Department remains open during normal court days/hours of business but may only be accessed by litigants remotely. Walk-n litigants with questions will NOT be accommodated. If you need to ask a question or speak with someone, please send an email to or call 412-350-4311.

    You may contact the Custody Department via email at or by phone at 412-350-4311 with your questions. The staff will respond to your email or phone message during normal business hours. Please be aware that the Court may be contacting you from a private, restricted, or blocked line.