Generations is the custody education/mediation program that includes an educational seminar for adults, which is conducted online. Generations is part of the Child Custody Department.
To file for custody, you must present the prepared legal paperwork and associated fees for filing with the Department of Court Records, First Floor, City-County Building, 414 Grant Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15219. Upon proper proof of service of the custody complaint/modifiation/contempt, the Child Custody Department will issue a scheduling order for the Generations education/mediation program.
The necessary forms can be obtained from:
- Your attorney (if appropriate)
- The Court’s website: www.alleghenyCourts.us
- The Family Division Court Manual (cost is $12.00 and can be purchased at the Child Custody Department – 1st floor or Court Administration – 5th floor)
- The Law Library on the 9th floor of the City-County Building has a copy of the Court manual and permits copies to be made from their manual
- Each adult is assessed $40 for their education fee and $100 for their mediation fee.
- Each child between the age of 6 and 15 is $30, which is split, so that each adult pays $15 per child.
- If you are represented by an attorney, he/she may request a fee waiver from the judge assigned to your case when that particular judge presides over the Motions Court.
- If you are not represented by an attorney but qualify for the Pro Se (without counsel) Litigant program, you may seek assistance with presentation of a motion to the Pro Se Motions Judge.
- If you are not represented by an attorney and DO NOT qualify for the Pro Se Litigant program, you must research the procedure and prepare all necessary documents from the Family Davison Court manual.