Civil | Discovery Motions
IF YOUR CASE IS ON A PUBLISHED TRIAL LIST, AND YOU HAVE A DISCOVERY ISSUE REQUIRING THE PRESENTATION OF A DISCOVERY MOTION, THAT DISCOVERY MOTION SHALL BE HEARD BY THE CALENDAR CONTROL JUDGE, IRRESPECTIVE OF THE SUSPENSION
Remote Discovery Court Procedures
The Court is currently conducting Discovery Motions Court via advanced communication technology.
This page will be updated when in-person proceedings resume. Any conflicts with the Local Rules are superseded by the following procedures until further notice. Until that time, the following rules and procedures must be followed for the Court to hear your motion:
- Absent compelling circumstances, the Court requires the parties to conduct a meaningful “meet and confer” prior to presentation of any contested motion. The Court will inquire into the specifics of the meet and confer during the hearing.
- All communications must CC all parties in the matter. Parties should also provide a personal contact number to the Court in the event the Court must use conference calling or needs to speak to a party.
- All Motions MUST be accompanied by a Remote Discovery Motions Form.
- All forms must be fully completed, and all contact information must be provided, or the motion WILL NOT be heard.
- Upon receipt and review of your form and motion the Court will contact the parties with a time, date, and conference information. This will come in the form of a Microsoft Teams Meeting Invitation. Your motion will be scheduled a minimum of ten (10) days in advance to in order to comply with notice requirements unless all parties agree to waive. Waiver does not guarantee an earlier date.
- If your Motion resolves prior to your hearing, please notify the Court immediately so the slot may be freed for another party.
- The Court prefers parties to appear by webcam if possible. This is for the benefit of our Court Reporter.
- Allegheny County Courts utilizes Microsoft Teams. A Teams account and download is not required if using a desktop or laptop computer running Microsoft Edge or other browser (Please note: Teams currently does not support Apple Safari, unless you have downloaded and installed the program). Mac users should note Microsoft Edge is free and can be downloaded from Microsoft. If using a mobile device, you must download the App in your respective App Store and you may be required to create a free Microsoft account in order to connect.
Microsoft Teams Download Link:
- As much as possible please try to participate from a quiet location
- PLEASE ATTEMPT A TEST PRIOR TO YOUR SCHEDULED HEARING TO REDUCE TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES AT THE TIME OF YOUR HEARING
- Please practice appropriate web conferencing etiquette. Speak one at a time and pause between speakers to accommodate for any potential lag in the video/audio.
- Your hearing may be recorded for the aid and benefit of the Court Reporter. Any party having an objection must inform the Court prior to going on the record.
All parties MUST be informed of all proceedings. If an email address for a party is unknown the moving party must inform the Court in its initial submission and verify/attest the conference information and contact information for the Court shall be communicated/placed in the mail to the party within twenty-four (24) hours Parties who do not abide by this procedure risk rescission of any Order resulting from their conduct and/or sanctions.
- Currently the Court is not receiving physical mail.
ALL DISCOVERY COMMUNICATIONS AND QUESTIONS MUST BE SENT VIA EMAIL TO:
Remote Discovery Motions Procedures
Remote Discovery Motions Form