The Asbestos Specialty Court manages and resolves asbestos litigation. Case management procedures are governed by Administrative Docket No. 332 of 2005.
Once the Praecipe to Place Case at Issue is filed and scheduled for a particular trial term, the cases are then divided between the two Asbestos Judges. Each judge schedules their own Motions for Summary Judgment Arguments (Product & Non Product). Each Judge will provide a submission form for attorneys and/or staff to complete and submit a form if a Motion for Summary Judgment is intended to be heard. Please contact each judge’s chambers for that information. No Motions, Response or Replies are to be mailed or hand delivered to chambers. The submission form must be submitted for each Motion that is anticipated to be argued.
General Asbestos Motions
• General Asbestos Motion dates are scheduled before each asbestos judge once monthly, with the dates and times listed in the Pittsburgh Legal Journal. These motions include all discovery motions, preliminary objections and any motion related to an asbestos case assigned to either individual Judge. These Motions can be presented to either Judge Klein or Judge Regan regardless of the judge assignment.
- General Asbestos Motions signed up with Judge Klein are to be emailed to the Judges staff at email@example.com or to Judge Regan’s staff at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the motion date and advising whether or not the Motion is Contested or Uncontested.
- Uncontested Motions can be forwarded to Judge Klein’s staff OR Judge Regan’s staff for signature and filing with the Department of Court Records (DCR). No need for presentation.
- Contested motions will be argued and the orders will be signed and filed with the Department of Court Records (DCR)
• Asbestos trial cases are listed on the general trial list and may be assigned to any Civil Division Judge for trial.