- Immediately report any PFA Violations to the police.
- If the Police make an arrest, the Defendant will be taken by the police to a local District Judge Office or to the Municipal Court Building.
- The Police Officer will complete a Complaint for Indirect Criminal Contempt (ICC)
- The Defendant will be taken before the District Judge and arraigned, or charged with violating your PFA Order.
- The District Judge will schedule a Contempt Hearing. PFA Contempt Hearings are heard every Wednesday at 9:00 a.m. in the Family Law Center.
- You should be notified (in-person, by mail, or by phone) of the Contempt Hearing date. NOTE: If the Defendant is arrested and you are not immediately notified of a hearing date, you should call 412.350.4441 before Wednesday to confirm the hearing date.
What to do if the police do not arrest the Defendant
If the police DO NOT make an arrest or obtain an arrest warrant for the violation, then the Plaintiff can file a Private Complaint to request that an arrest warrant be issued. The Plaintiff should take a copy of the PFA Order to either a local Magisterial District Judge office or to the Municipal Court Building (660 First Avenue) and ask to complete a “COMPLAINT FOR INDIRECT CRIMINAL CONTEMPT”. The Complaint should list specific dates, times, and a DETAILED description of the violation. The complaint will be reviewed by a Magisterial District Judge who will determine if an arrest warrant will be issued.
If you are concerned for your safety, you can call one of Allegheny County’s four domestic violence programs for immediate safety planning and a referral to one of their non-attorney legal advocates who can help you to pursue your legal options in the courts.
The Domestic Violence Programs with 24-7 hotlines
Women’s Center and Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh (City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County)
412-687-8005 or toll-free 1-877-338-8255
Crisis Center North (Northern and Western Suburbs of Allegheny County)
412-364-5556 or toll-free 1-866-782-0911
Center for Victims (Mon-Yough Area and Allegheny County)
412-678-4616 (DV Shelter Services) or toll free 1-866-644-2882
Alle-Kiski Area HOPE Center (Alle-Kiski Valley and Northeastern Allegheny County)